By Georgia L. Irby
A better half to technological know-how, expertise, and drugs in historic Greece and Rome brings a clean standpoint to the examine of those disciplines within the old international, with 60 chapters interpreting those issues from various severe and technical perspectives.
- Brings a clean viewpoint to the examine of technological know-how, expertise, and medication within the historical global, with 60 chapters analyzing those themes from numerous serious and technical perspectives
- Begins assurance in six hundred BCE and comprises sections at the later Roman Empire and past, that includes dialogue of the transmission and reception of those rules into the Renaissance
- Investigates key disciplines, innovations, and hobbies in old technological know-how, expertise, and drugs in the historic, cultural, and philosophical contexts of Greek and Roman society
- Organizes its content material in halves: the 1st makes a speciality of mathematical and ordinary sciences; the second one specializes in cultural functions and interdisciplinary themes
Read Online or Download A Companion to Science, Technology, and Medicine in Ancient Greece and Rome, 2 Volume Set PDF
Best special topics books
At TCM schools in China, undergraduates research a simple repertoire of among 50 and a hundred natural formulation. This comprises one or formulation from each one of 21 significant different types. by way of studying to change this center staff of formulation with additions and subtractions, one will have a uncomplicated repertoire of formulation for many medical events.
Using lasers in clinical perform has dramatically elevated through the years. Lasers and sleek optics have principally been unexplored in clinical technology. This contributed paintings is either confident and cautionary in its professional overview of the state of the art clinical use of laser expertise. using lasers to enhance upon traditional perform is highlighted within the foreword by means of the overdue Dr.
The makes use of and merits of soft-tissue lasers in dental hygiene perform are myriad. Lasers are used for better debridement, scaling and making plans, with much less discomfort and bleeding. Hygienists can become aware of sub- and supra-gingival calculus, eliminate the micro organism in wallet, and take away granulation, between different remedies.
Many various medications are successfully used as painkillers—substances that significantly increase the standard of lifestyles when you be afflicted by transitority or habitual discomfort. This e-book provides an in-depth evaluate of opiates, opioids, and different painkilling ingredients comparable to non-steroidal anti inflammatory medications (NSAIDs) which were in use from precedent days as much as the modern period.
- Prepared to Care: Nurses and Nursing in Alberta
- Military Medicine: From Ancient Times to the 21st Century
- Snake oil, hustlers and hambones : the American medicine show
- The way forward for Chinese medicine
Extra info for A Companion to Science, Technology, and Medicine in Ancient Greece and Rome, 2 Volume Set
London: Taylor & Francis. van der Eijk, P. J. 2005. Medicine and Philosophy in Classical Antiquity: Doctors and Philosophers on Nature, Soul, Health and Disease. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. PART I Physics and Cosmogony Chapter 1 The Creation and Destruction of the World Andrew D. Gregory 1. Introduction The creation and destruction of the world were much discussed in antiquity, and the Presocratics, Plato, Aristotle, and Hellenistic thinkers all made distinctive contributions. The term “creation” could in some ways be a little misleading.
The precise nature of Aristotle’s argument is controversial, and to the modern eye something has gone wrong here (see Judson 1983 for the nature of the supposed error). Whatever Aristotle’s reason for holding this view, his target is clear enough. He wishes to oppose the Platonic view that the cosmos came into existence and will subsequently exist for all time. On the Heavens (283b17-21) concludes as follows: It is impossible for what was previously eternal to perish later, or what was previously not eternal to be eternal later.
M. 1938. ” In Background to Modern Science, edited by J. Needham and W. Pagel, 3–22. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Cornford, F. M. 1952. Principium Sapientae: The Origins of Greek Philosophical Thought. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Cuomo, S. 2001. Ancient Mathematics. London: Routledge. Evans, J. 1998. The History and Practice of Ancient Astronomy. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Farrington, B. 1936. Science in Antiquity. London: Butterworth. Farrington, B. 1953. Greek Science: Its Meaning for Us.
A Companion to Science, Technology, and Medicine in Ancient Greece and Rome, 2 Volume Set by Georgia L. Irby